19 Jun Beickman Performing Arts Center renovation begins
A project to expand and improve the Beickman Performing Arts Center is underway as construction crews begin the process of demolishing the existing lobby area.
The renovation project will not increase property taxes. The project is scheduled to be complete by April 24, 2020.
Work will be completed in two phases.
- PHASE I: On March 18, 2019, the Concord School Board members accepted bids from Ziolkowski Construction for site work and building concrete ($934,000) and R. Yoder Construction for structural steel and steel deck ($429,500).
- PHASE II: On May 20, 2019, the Concord School Board accepted a $3,890,440 bid from Ziolkowski Construction for general construction, auditorium finishes, glass canopy, wall panels, tile, etc.
In addition to a variety of updates throughout, the renovation project will include an expanded lobby area where guests — including those with wheelchairs — can gather before and after performances. The renovations include an ADA entrance and seating.
A key feature is a glass facade and canopy supported by a steel frame that will replace the existing entrance. Once inside, a lobby area — approximately 10,000 square feet larger than the current space — will include updated restrooms, a curved wall feature wall, and ample space for families to gather.
Other plans include the following:
- Doubling restroom capacity from two restrooms to five (two men’s, two women’s, and a family restroom);
- Replacing and improving seating in the auditorium;
- Running LED light strips down the aisles to serve as visual markers; and
- Installing a steel frame in the ceiling of the lobby to serve as rigging for lighting and projection systems.